Launch # -1242
The SAS activity I chose is an interactive activity called The Writing Reviser Tool Box. It is a really amazing tool that is downloaded to any computer and it actually prompts students on how to revise their essays. I felt that this could be very useful for students because it lays everything out for them that they need in order to make sure that they are writing a successful essay. It gives them statistics on possible run on sentences, grammar issues, wordiness and so many other things. It also tells students different things they want to make sure that they are achieving in their paper that would deem it successful or not. I like this because it is much easier and more interesting then just staring at a set of rules in a text book. Through this interactive activity they are guided step by step what to do with their writing in order to make sure they truly grasp what is being explained to them. I would use this in the classroom by asking students to put their essays into this program and follow the prompts to see how they can improve their essays before they came to me, to se if they could work it out on their own. This could really help broaden students knowledge on what a good essay looks like and what they can do in order to write well. I think this tool could make a big difference in our students writing.
This sounds like a really useful tool for writing instruction or activities. I find that students don't often like writing (big surprise). Chances are that they won't enjoy this too much, either; but at least from this they can see particular statistics about what they do (run-on sentences, probably comma splices, etc.) and correct themselves. They can try to be proactive rather than reactive.
ReplyDeleteThis tool helps students to reflect on their own writing or peer editing because it isn't just the teacher telling them they have run-on sentences or simple sentences etc. If they are interested in improvement they can take some of it into their own hands. I think it can help teachers too with their own writing.
ReplyDelete